Thursday, May 10, 2012

A WTF Review!

I know. I know. We all never thought we'd see the day where I took on a reviewer. I promise that this isn't what you think, though. What has me madder than a tea bagger being forced to pay taxes is a music review. One that was at Entertainment Weekly, no less.


You're probably wonder why I would let a review that's not even directed at me upset me so much. You would have a point, too. I rarely let things like this upset me. That is unless the reviewer in question crosses some very big lines. Maybe the reviewer was tying to be funny, but it came off as a big failure and has left a bad taste in my mouth.


The review in question was for Adam Lambert's upcoming review, Trespassing. While the reviewer makes no effort to hide that it wasn't her favorite collection of music, she hardly touches on the topic of the album in question. Instead she makes several comments that could be deemed homophobic. Even the caption under the picture of Adam Lambert if offensive. FABULOUS 'IDOL' Lambert's latest rings in larger-than-life anthems that end up feeling exaggerated. Fabulous???? Are we really going there, EW?


I don't know what ticks me off more, that a blogger would actually makes statements like this, or the editors at 
the magazine. Did any other them take the time to step back and say, "Maybe this isn't a good idea." I know that this may not seem like a big deal, but it is. By letting these kind of comments to go by unchecked we send out the message that it's okay to hate and pigeonhole people into stereotypes.


Being the PFLAG mom that I am, I fired off a letter to EW. Not that I expect to hear back from them,but I had to know that at least I took a stance. 



Adam performs Outlaws of Love from his upcoming album Trespassing.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Ironically, they have a disclaimer on the comments "Keep it clean, and stay on the subject or we might delete your comment". Too bad it doesn't apply to the reviewer. Doesn't seem like she discussed the music much. They also got a lot of negative comments. We'll be seeing an apology soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete